Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien



 


Notizen: Wikipedia 2020:
Walcott is a small village and civil parish on the North Norfolk coast in England between Mundesley and Happisburgh. The name is formed from the Anglian word 'walh' (cognate with 'Welsh') and the Anglo-Saxon 'cot' meaning 'cottage, hut, shelter or den'. The village is 19.1 miles (30.7 km) north east of Norwich, 11.9 miles (19.2 km) south east of Cromer and 137 miles (220 km) north east of London. The village lies 5.6 miles (9.0 km) east of the town of North Walsham.
The village is the only point where the B1159 (the coast road) actually runs along the edge of the sea. This makes it a popular stopping off point for day-trippers and storm watchers.
The parish was created in 2008, partitioned from the Happisburgh parish.
History:
The vicinity shows economic recession and technological regression in the post Roman period. Grave goods found from this period strongly suggest a large influx of people from the Anglian region of Schleswig in north Germany/south Denmark (the Angles), confirmed by the Venerable Bede.
During the Middle Saxon period (AD 650 – 865), the archaeological evidence in Norfolk changes (shortly after AD 700) and suggests that the region was arguably more Christian than pagan.
Late Anglo-Saxon (865–1066) artefacts recorded in the vicinity are few in number but of high quality and are indicative of high status.
Viking forces first raided East Anglia in 865 and it remained under Scandinavian control until 917 when the West Saxons re-conquered East Anglia. It is thought that this was the start of the system of Hundreds – areas of land containing approximately 100 families. Walcott is in the Happing Hundred
The cutting of peat that resulted in the formation of The Broads is thought to have started around AD 900. This practice may have been introduced by the Angles and could indicate the scarcity of firewood at the time.
Moving from the Dark Ages into the medieval period, documentary evidence takes precedence over archaeological evidence.
Before the Norman Conquest Walcott was held by Eadric de Laxfield. There were 4 carucates and 6 acres (about 486 acres) of (arable) land, 8 villagers and 16 smallholders. The lord had 2 ploughs and there were 2 other ploughs. There were 8 acres (3.2 ha) of meadow, 1 mill, 3 cattle, 4 pigs & 80 sheep. There was a church with 20 acres (8.1 ha). There were 7 freemen with 70 acres (28 ha) and 2 ploughs, and there were 5 other ploughs. The value of the manor was 40 shillings. South Erpingham Hundred held 3 freemen in Walcott with 90 acres (36 ha) and 3 ploughs.
Eadric was a major Thane (noble) at that time, based at Eye in Suffolk, with numerous manors and lands in Norfolk, Suffolk and Wiltshire. Whilst some historians consider him to have been Danish, as depicted on the village sign at Happisburgh, all (admittedly slender) evidence relating to his origin suggests that he was English.
Immediately after the Conquest Walcott was given to Robert Malet who died before the Domesday Survey of 1088 when it was granted to Ralph (Ranulf), brother of Iger and held by Humphrey, possibly his nephew. There were 4 carucates and 6 acres (2.4 ha) of land with 3 ploughs, 8 villagers & 16 smallholders. 2 other ploughs, 8 acres (3.2 ha) of meadow, 1 mill, 2 cobs (horses), 16 cattle, 24 pigs, 70 sheep & 4 beehives. 1 church with 20 acres (8.1 ha), 7 freemen with 70 acres (28 ha), 5 other ploughs. Another 4 freemen with 90 acres (36 ha). The value of the manor was 60s. South Erpingham Hundred held 3 freemen in Walcott with 2.5 ploughs. As only men were recorded in the survey, and assuming each man had a wife and 2.4 children, the approximate population of Walcott in 1088 was around 170.
The eponymous de Walcott family were Lords of the Manor of Walcott from about the late 12th century until about the late 14th century.
The church at Walcott is dedicated to All Saints and dates from the middle 14th century. The Font is 13th century. The font stands on a Celtic limestone memorial slab and both are from an earlier church, the foundations of which may have been discovered in a nearby garden.
During the reign of King Edward I (1239–1307), the church was valued at 20 marks (£13 6s 8d) per year and the Peter pence was 20d.
Originally there were two Halls in Walcott, East Hall and West Hall. William Faden's map of Norfolk dated 1797 shows Walcott Hall but unfortunately it is not entirely clear if this is West or East Hall. However between 1386 & 1486, there is note of a manor called 'Masons' in Walcott.
The de Engain family of Brumstead and Walcott is first noted in 1404 when Thomas de Engain married Margaret, daughter of John Ellis of Great Yarmouth. In 1405, he passed the manor of West Hall to Lord Willoughby and hence West Hall was united to East Hall in Walcott.
In 1360 the Stapleton family of Ingham established a college of Friars of the order of the Holy Trinity and St Victor to serve Ingham and Walcott. Originally it consisted of a Prior, a Sacrist (who acted as Vicar and lived above the porch) and two brethren. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and was rebuilt in 1360, the Chancel dates from the 1340s and the Font is 13th century. There is a monument to Sir Oliver de Ingham and Lord & Lady de Boys, there was a brass of Sir Miles Stapleton and his wife.
To help pay for a crusade in the Holy Land, in 1254 a special tax was introduced called the Norwich Tax. For Walcott the figures were 25 marks (£16 13s 4d) (the Prior of Bromholm's portion was £1 0s 0d).
Between 1250 and 1350, manorial accounts from Lessingham suggest that the main agriculture in the vicinity was about 50% Barley, 20% Legumes, 15% Wheat and the remaining 15% was Rye, Oats and mixed grain. Livestock consisted of about 55% cattle, 30% sheep and the remaining 15% was horses, oxen and pigs.
The Nomina Villarum was a list of lords in 1316 (86) and shows that Peter Roscelyn & Alexander de Walcott held Lordships in Walcott.
To pay for another crusade in the Holy Land, an assessment of tax was made of individual parishes in 1334, which gives an idea of the comparative wealth of each parish and any changes since the Norwich Taxation of 1254. For Walcott the amount was £6 0s 0d.
The Black Death arrived in Norfolk in the spring of 1349 and spread up the river valleys from Yarmouth, suggesting that it arrived by ship and was spread by river craft. In the autumn of 1349, the harvest in the vicinity brought in less than half the usual amount of corn.
High inflation followed the Black Death as a result of the reduction in the population and the King responded by legally forcing wages down and imposing a Poll (or head) Tax. Needless to say this was very unpopular and there were rebellions in the vicinity (the so-called Peasants' Revolt). Bromholm Priory was attacked and documents were destroyed in June 1381. Eventually the uprising was crushed and in July 1381 a commission was appointed to deal with the insurgents in Norfolk and Suffolk. There is evidence from their enquiry of the work of a Martham stonemason in Walcott and Ingham between 1440 & 1470.
Most parish registers start shortly after the medieval period and in 1603 an incomplete list of church communicants for each parish was compiled. For Walcott the parish registers start in 1558 and there were 110 communicants in 1603. This suggests that Walcott had had an increase in population since 1088.
In August 1797, William Faden published the first comprehensive map of Norfolk that included Walcott. It is not completely to scale but is roughly correct.

OpenStreetMap

Ort : Geographische Breite: 52.8420806, Geographische Länge: 1.5015221


Geburt

Treffer 1 bis 5 von 5

   Nachname, Taufnamen    Geburt    Personen-Kennung 
1 Lloyd, Alice  1285Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215057
2 Walcott, John  um 1290Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215056
3 Walcott, John  1368Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215051
4 Walcott, John Knight  um 1372Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215055
5 Walcott, Thomas  1342Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215053

Gestorben

Treffer 1 bis 2 von 2

   Nachname, Taufnamen    Gestorben    Personen-Kennung 
1 Walcott, Joan - wife of  Datum unbekanntWalcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215054
2 Walcott, John  2 Aug 1396Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien I215051

Verheiratet

Treffer 1 bis 1 von 1

   Familie    Verheiratet    Familien-Kennung 
1 Walcott / Lloyd  um 1316Walcott, Norfolk, England, Großbritannien F72153